Apr 9, 2010

The Sad Lullaby

The Sad Lullaby

I heard the crow cry
when the moon was not in the sky
and the night was dark as could be.
I heard the banshee scream
by the dark red stream
rushing in search of the sea.

I heard the old sad song
sang by a lonesome bard
playing the strings of his heart.
I saw the barge come ashore
black sails in the storm
winds and thunder gone wild.

And when I am all alone
I still hear the sacred song
the sad lullaby of the dead.
It’s the call of the otherworld
reaching deep into my soul
and I rejoice to go, instead."

by Brighidbride







3 comments:

Jayne said...

Lovely imagery, Liz. Thanks for sharing that poem with us.

Amy said...

Reading this could not be more poignant for me today. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

mxtodis123 said...

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.