Today I'm going to talk about something a little different, I'm not sure if many of you know but I live with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and for a long time it greatly affected my life to the point that for several years I became a virtual recluse. It's only been in the last year and a half that I've finally become able to come to terms with this issue and through therapy and medication, I'm finally in a place where I can be comfortable in my own skin.
Not to prattle on about the odd inner workings of my mind and to make a long story short, the Dr. and I recently agreed upon a medication change and with any medication comes side effects, some are harder to deal with than others but with this medication came weight gain...23 pounds in less than a month! I began to notice that I was having a great deal of trouble keeping my asthma under control and had a serious lack of energy. Feeling good about yourself can be extremely difficult when you can't catch your breath or find the energy to do even basic tasks.
Anyhow, there was this diet being passed around "Sweetie's" family and it piqued my interest, it's a diet that they put heart patients on to lose weight before surgery and it's super healthy to boot. So I figured I'd try it and low and behold... I lost most of the weight that I'd gained plus, I started feeling like a million buck too. Amazing as it is however, I'm still not a morning person and sometimes people still freak me out but I feel great and I am learning how to eat healthier and take life in stride (and just try and stop me in the afternoon!)
I encourage those of you who may be interested to print this out and try it, it's delicious as well as good for you and you won't believe how great you feel.
Sacred Heart Medical Diet
- 1 or 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
- 3 plus large green onions
- 1 large can of beef broth (no fat)
- 1 pkg. Lipton Soup mix (chicken noodle)
- 1 bunch of celery
- 2 cans green beans
- 2 lbs. Carrots
- 2 Green Peppers
- Season with salt, pepper curry, parsley, if desired, or bouillon, hot or Worcestershire sauce. Cut veggies in small to medium pieces. Cover with water. Boil fast for 10 minutes. Reduce to simmer and continue to cook until veggies are tender.
- This soup can be eaten anytime you are hungry during the week. Eat as much as you want, whenever you want. This soup will not add calories. The more you eat, the more you will lose. You may want to fill a thermos in the morning if you will be away during the day.
- Unsweetened juices
- Tea (also herbal)
- Cranberry juice
- Skim milk
- Water, water, water
- DAY ONE
- Any fruit (except bananas). Cantaloupes and watermelon are lower in calories than most other fruits. Eat only soup and fruit today.
- DAY TWO
- All vegetables. Eat until you are stuffed with fresh raw, cooked or canned veggies. Try to eat green leafy veggies and stay away from dry beans, peas or corn. Eat veggies along with the soup. At dinnertime tonight reward yourself with a big baked potato and butter. Don't eat any fruits through today.
- DAY THREE
- Eat all the soup, fruit and veggies you want. Do not have a baked potato. If you have eaten as above for three days and not cheated, you should find that you have lost 5-7 pounds.
- DAY FOUR
- Bananas and skim milk: Eat at least 3 bananas and drink as much milk as you can today, along with the soup. Bananas are high in calories and carbohydrates, as is the milk but on this particular day, your body will need the potassium and carbs. Proteins and calcium to lessen the cravings for sweets.
- DAY FIVE
- Beef and tomatoes: you may have 10 to 20 ounces of beef and a can of tomatoes, or as many as 6 tomatoes on this day. Eat the soup at least once today.
- DAY SIX
- Beef and veggies, eat to your heart's content of the beef and veggies today. You can even have 2-3 steaks if you like with green leafy veggies but no baked potato. Be sure to eat the soup at least once today.
- DAY SEVEN
- Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and veggies, again, be sure to stuff yourself and eat the soup. You can add cooked veggies to your rice if you wish.
- By the end of the 7th day, if you have not cheated on this diet, you should have lost 10 to 17 pounds. If you have lost more than 17 pounds, stay off the diet for two days before resuming the diet again.
- This diet is fast. The secret lies within the principle that you will burn more calories than you take in. It will flush your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being. This diet does not lend itself to drinking any alcoholic beverages at any time. Because of the fat build-up in your system. Go off the diet at least 14 hours before any intake of alcohol.
- Due to the variety of digestive systems in individuals, this diet will affect everyone differently. After day three, you will have more energy than when you began, if you do not cheat. After being on the diet for several days, you will find that your bowel movements have changed. Eat a cup of bran or fiber. Although you can have black coffee with this diet, you may find that you don't need caffeine after the third day.
- The basic fat burning soup can be eaten anytime you feel hungry during the seven days. Eat as much as you wish. Remember the more you eat, the more you will lose. You can eat broiled, boiled or baked chicken instead of the beef. Absolutely no skin on the chicken. If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for the beef on only one of the beef days. You need the high protein in the beef for the other days.
- Continue on the diet as long as you wish and feel the difference both mentally and physically.
- DO NOT - DO NOT
- No bread, alcohol, carbonated drinks (including diet drinks). Remember, absolutely no fried foods.
- DO - DO - DO - DO
- Drink plenty - at least 6 to 8 glasses - of water a day, as well as any combination of the following beverages: black coffee, unsweetened fruit drinks, cranberry juice and skim milk.
- This diet comes from the Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital that is used for overweight heart patients in order to lose weight rapidly, usually prior to surgery.