Oct 1, 2009

Tarot Shadow Work- Hidden Treasures


This week I'm going to give one example of Shadow Play that will help in unlocking those long forgotten shadows. In the previous Shadow Exercises, I identified my Shadows and how I might recover them in the Star of Discovery and Star of Recovery spread.  Now, let's try some make believe...

Imagine a large treasure chest, big enough to hold all your  special treasures. Visualize what this treasure chest might look like...describe it as detailed as you can. This chest will represent you as your present self, how you present yourself to the world...the perfect you. Locate a box big enough to hold the eleven cards that were used in the two Discovery spreads. Don't worry, it doesn't have to be grandiose...a simple shoebox or something approximately the same size will do.

Now, decorate the outside however you wish to symbolize the "you" that you show the world. Try to include all your hobbies or talents as you decorate, try to make it as personal as you can. Place the eleven tarot cards inside the box and picture them as the toys (Shadows) that you hide from the world. These cards now symbolize the shadow treasures that can be found hiding in the dark. Mix all the cards up like you are stirring a pot, and repeat the words "I want my Shadow back" as you do so, in a manner that resembles a stubborn child deminding his toys back.


Draw one card from your treasure chest and look at it...this is the hidden treasure you want back...the lost part of you that wants to come home. What card have you drawn...? What part of your lost self do you want back now? Looking at this card, how does it differ from the decorated treasure chest outside? When looking at this card, realize that this is the disowned part of you, if you want your power back, then you must lay claim to the Shadow that blocks it. What is the gift that lays in the dark?

This week I am going to do this exercise and see what card  I pull that I will be reclaiming. What gift do I have that has been hiding in the dark...? Tune in next week!



2 comments:

Rue said...

Oh, what a great exercise! I'm going to have to make some time to do this!

Is it just me, or are your fish growing?

Happy October!

Bridgett said...

Fascinating! I can't wait to hear back from you on this...

)O(
boo