Oct 12, 2010

Deck Review- Decks For Youth-The Whimsical Tarot

Who fondly remembers the fairy tales from childhood like the Owl and The Pussycat, Beauty and the Beast, and most of all the lovable and courageous characters from the Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum? Such whimsical stories bring to mind those days of childhood and innocence...well, allow me to introduce The Whimsical Tarot created by Dorothy Morrison and illustrated by Mary Hanson Roberts (the Creator of the Hanson- Roberts Tarot) 
This intensely cute deck is absolutely perfect for the young tarot reader and even the young at heart. It is made up of 78 cards (2-3/4 by 4-3/4) just right for smaller hands and comes with the standard LWB (little white book.) The card stock is the usual sturdy yet flexible US Games stock and has a shiny lamination. The one thing that really stands out to me with The Whimsical Tarot is Mary Hanson-Roberts' use of bright, engaging colors and fairy tale pictures that take me right back to a time where the imagination was everything.
I looked through the cards as soon as I got this deck and had an absolute ball naming all the characters from the tales I so lovingly remember. It was as if yesterday that I remember reading about The Cow that jumped over the Moon, Humpty Dumpty and the Shoemakers Eves, what great memories to share with your child as you travel down memory lane together.

My favorite cards in this deck have got to be The Fool, who is portrayed by the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz, The Moon with it's pictures of the dish running away with the spoon and the Sandman as the wise Hermit. The accompanying LWB (little white book) gives the basic meanings of each card and I understand that there is a companion book but I have not had the opportunity to read it, I simply must put it on my list of books to get although for a young tarot reader each card is rich with color and symbols that make it perfect for developing intuitive skills.
I highly recommend this wonderful deck to anyone whether child or seasoned reader, I've found that it is not too fluffy and actually reads very accurately. The holidays are coming up and The Whimsical Tarot will make the perfect addition to anyones collection.


US Games Systems
ISBN: 978-1-57281-253-6
Author: Dorothy Morrison
Artist: Mary Hanson-Roberts

No comments: