Feb 6, 2009

Why Yes, My Number Really Is 666.




I bet that number got your attention...it happens all the time... audible gasps, people visibly twitch... some even find that suddenly they have somewhere else to be and quickly shuffle off murmuring to themselves. Even the very thought of that number brings controversy so allow me to fuel the fire. Being in the craft can sometimes be interesting, I get a lot of blank stares after being asked what my religious affiliation is and I answer witchcraft... no one is really sure if I'm actually confessing that I am a witch or just yanking their chain and when I'm asked for my phone number it just goes downhill from there. 666 is a number with such a vivid and powerful stigma attached to it that sometimes you just gotta laugh because otherwise all the Prozac in the world could not solve the issues that this number has been known to cause. Just the other day, my friend Peggy wrote her 666th blog posting on Laila and Minchie (there is a link to her blog on the right side of my page) and everyone held their breath....she emailed me just a bit ago so I was able to draw the conclusion that she did not explode and there was no appearance of the anti-christ materializing in a cloud of fire and brimstone. A few comments on her post mentioned the humor in it, ( most did not) but I'm guessing the younger crowd is not as knowledgable about this topic as we older folks are and that's ok with me. For argument's sake allow me to slip in a bit of history on the origin of "The number of the beast"... While reading the information in Wikipedia, I was suprised to see that historians and theologians are now starting to come to the conclusion that more than likely the translation was erroneously understood to be 666 but in fact is probably 616 instead and had more to do with numerology and Nero or Caligula than a christian concept associated with the devil . (In my spiritual beliefs, the devil does not exist and did not in any way, shape or form appear in any activities practiced by the early pagan cultures.) Hmm, interesting.... I suppose you can start sending that email now... I have even given it thought as to maybe including my phone number ...(my actual telephone number is area code (360) and the prefix is 666-**** ) but I won't put the last four digits in because my nerves could not handle it's constant ringing from unsettled readers calling to chew me out but here in Battle Ground, Washington the telephone prefix really is 666!



To read the Wikipedia article:

3 comments:

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Great post! I must admit the movie "Rosemary's Baby" was what really started freaking me out about those numbers. But not so much anymore. Like the black cat thing on Friday the 13ths. Since Binky Baby, I have a whole new respect for the black beauties. Please give your Binky a hug and kiss from me.

Randilin said...

We use the prefix 666 here in winnipeg. I work for local telephone company and always get excited when the computer spits it out as someones new number and can't wait to tell them. You never know how they will react to the number. I've had customers cancel there order then and there, I've had them just hang up, I've had a few say "COOL" and some just politely ask for a different number. the majority don't really care.

The Blessed Bee said...

Great post! I understand exactly what you mean. It's always interesting when you blurt out that you practice witchcraft ... you can actually see some people step back, even if they don't physically move.