Feb 19, 2009

Elemental, Dear Watson


Wicca is a nature based religion and follows the tides of the moon and the path of the sun in my celebrations. I like to honor the world around me and one of the most important ways I integrate the natural world into my daily life and my expression of this is by honoring the elements. Generally, there are four elements that are recognized by all wiccans, these are Air, Fire, Water and Earth. Depending on the path (or tradition) a person is working like myself, I recognize a fifth element, Spirit. Each element has a different energy and fits into my daily life in its own special way. There are correspondences which focus on the energy of the element that I might be working with. I work a solitary eclectic path ( I do not belong to a traditional coven) and since I am in the northern part of the world, there may be differences in other paths and things in the southern hemisphere are generally opposite of the way I work with them.



AIR...the element of the east in most traditions and is where the sun rises . It is the place of new beginnings and morning is it's time. Air is associated with thought processes and mental working, intelligence and learning... birds, feathers, insects, clouds and the dawn are all associated with air.... its colors are generally yellows and pastels.



FIRE...as the sun moves South, it becomes noon time... the heat of the day. Fire is associated with movement and action, the fires of passion and anger and of our will. Lizards, salamanders, scorpions, deserts, spices, heat and the noonday sun are all associated with fire.... it's colors are reds and oranges.


WATER... is in the direction of the west and is the time of the setting sun, the coolness of twilight.... it is the rain, rivers and oceans and streams. It is the element of emotion and intuition... it's colors are blues and greens, turquoise and aqua.


EARTH... is in the North and is the dark, the time of rest. It is planting and nurturing seeds of all kinds, growth and abundance, but it also signifies the passing (or death) and returning to the earth. Most mammals and earth dwelling creatures are associated with the earth as are plants and trees, stones and seeds. Its colors are greens and browns and black.


SPIRIT... is an element that is difficult to explain and even harder to show. It is the hub of the wheel of the year and wheel of the elements... the top of the five pointed star. It's associations are different for everyone, and some will say purple, gold or white is it's color. I associate it with the manifestation of the goddess and god figure (the spirit evident in all natural creations).



I hope this explains a little of what I incorporate into my life in the form of rituals and spells or even charms. The more people know what goes into my spirituality, the less that there is to be fearful of. I firmly believe that tolerance is a commodity that sometimes falls by the wayside but hopefully, with a little education and understanding we will make great progress in this world.

No comments: