Feb 4, 2009

The Moon By Any Other Name....


There's just something about the moon...folklore abound with legends and tales of the moon, poetry is written about it and not too far back in our history, farmers still planted and harvested their crops by it. All down through time the moon has played an important role in the lives of many peoples and this coming Tuesday, the 10th, it will be a full Snow Moon. I was intrigued by the naming of the moon each month so I went on a search to find out just how these names came to be. I was actually suprised to find that if I had just thought about it, the names are actually quite common sense. In February, the heaviest snow usually falls and the native tribes of the north and east most often called it the Full Snow Moon or referred to as the Moon as the Full Hunger Moon, since harsh weather conditions in their areas made hunting very difficult and on the wiccan calendar I have on my wall, it's called the Quickening Moon. The moon has always been mysterious and beautiful to me and learning about the different names has only increased my affection.

Snow
fresh white
beautiful soft
Snow
there it is - look
it wasn't there before
it is new - it just appeared
in minutes - now
soft - white - fluffy
immaculate
Snow
sparkling on rooftops
in branches & twigs
on the dry brown
autumn lawn
Snow
it is snow
don't you see it - - -
Moonlight of the full moon!
(Magic of the Full Moon ,Ingeborg Carsten-Miller)




No comments: