Jan 19, 2009

Food For Thought


Many years ago, my mother and I would endlessly butt heads about really silly things and over time, became estranged. For a long time I was so resentful before I realized that I could never be someone I was not just to appease my mother, I could only be myself and after many hard lessons, have become very comfortable in my own skin...blessed be the god and goddess for this revelation!


Anyhow...last week my mother made a rare pilgrimage from where she lives to our little neck of the woods in order to have lunch with my second eldest daughter Caitlin and drop off Christmas presents that she could not deliver due to our inclement weather as of late. At the lunch gathering my mother made small talk for a while and then suddenly inquired as to the welfare of my youngest two children Conor (9) and Meaghan (8) and myself.I was a bit surprised to say the least and Caitlin (bless her generous heart) told my mother that they were doing exceptionally well and I was very happy and doing fine too.


Caitlin then told my mother how beautiful Meaghan was growing up to be and out of my mother's mouth popped the remark " Your mother is very beautiful too" When Caitlin repeated this to me my jaw nearly detatched from my face and my eyes began tearing up.


Suddenly I became that shy little girl who would have done anything to hear those words from her mom and


I wasn't quite sure how to handle it! It took me so long to accept myself and become comfortable in my own skin and would have given away EVERY teddy bear I owned (and that was A LOT!) to hear those words long, long ago.
I guess my whole point is for every parent to know just how important it is to let your children know EVERY DAY that no matter what they do or who they become, they will always be acceptable and loved...

No comments: