Jun 22, 2009

Stranger Than Fiction


Today in history the final witchcraft law was replaced by the "Fraudulent Mediums Act of 1951." "Excuse me?" you might say...Well, after looking it up to see just what this was all about, this is what I learned......

The Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 was a law in England and Wales which prohibited a person from claiming to be a or other spiritualist while attempting to deceive and to make money from the deception (other than solely for the purpose of entertainment). It was repealed on 26 May 2008. There were five prosecutions under this Act between 1980 and 1995, all resulting in conviction.The Act was replaced by new Consumer Protection Regulations following an EU directive targeting unfair sales and marketing practices.It also repealed the Witchcraft Act 1735. It is sometimes said, erroneously, that until 1951 British law recognised witchcraft as real. In fact, the 1735 Act was the first to recognise that magic is impossible, explicitly stating that it was an act against fraud.


Wow, I had to read that one about three times just to make sure I read it correctly! Sadly though, there are those individuals out there who do use the guise of spirituality in order to decieve those who choose to believe and I understand why this act was drafted. I sometimes wonder when I wear my pentagram necklace out in public, if that's what people may be thinking but then I must stand back and realize that I proudly wear my necklace in order to dispel the misinformation....I gladly tell folks about my spirituality and maybe one by one we can educate the public that we are not all like the few who put us in question.

No comments: