2 pie crusts - unbaked (ready to bake or homemade)
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (1/4 inch thick)
2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
3 Tablespoons dry sherry
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 Tablespoons minced parsley (fresh)
* Heat oven to 400 degrees, place oven rack in middle position.
* Place chicken and broth in a stock pot over medium heat. Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer until the chicken is done (about 10 min.)
* Transfer the chicken to a large bowl; reserve the broth in a separate cup or small bowl.
* Place oil in the stock pot, turn heat to medium high.
* Add the carrots, onion and celery. Sauté until just tender (about 5 min.). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
* Shred the chicken meat into bit-sized pieces, then place the vegetables into the bowl with the chicken and set aside.
* Heat the butter in the now empty stock pot over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and cook 1 minute.
* Whisk in the chicken broth, milk and thyme. Bring to a simmer, continuing to simmer until sauce thickens (about 1 min.). Season with salt and pepper, stir in the sherry.
* Pour the sauce over the chicken-vegetables mixture, stir well. Stir in the peas and parsley.
* Line a 9x13 inch pan with one of the pie crusts. If using ready to bake pie crusts, roll the dough to fit the pan.
* Pour the chicken mixture into the pan and top with second crust.
* Bake in preheated oven until pie crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes.